Friday, September 02, 2005

What is that dot thing?

I work at an Indian Restaurant, and my uniform is black pants, with a long kameez with 3/4 length sleeves, and a dupatta worn as a sash over one shoulder. I also wear a bangles and .. a bindi which is where the strange behavior on the part of the customers starts....

Customer #1
This type of customer won't ask you why you wear a bindi, but you'll hear them talk about all these different theories, 1) She's married to an Indian 2) That's because she's a Muslim (!) 3) If you're over 18, and work at this restaurant, you have to wear a dot thing.

Customer #2
You will be at their table, and suddenly they will look at you, and say 'mind if I ask you something' and start this really strange circular motion with their hand around about the middle of their forehead, I get what they are trying to say and explain it all to them.

Customer #3
They will ask if that 'dot thing' on your head is a piercing!

Customer #4
Actually truly believe that you are Indian.

Customer #5
Usually Indian, they compliment you on how nice the Indian clothes look on you, and in one case, ask to borrow your bindi!

This is a pic of me at the WACA ground...Shahid Afridi loved the outfit.. and I got Salman's autograph!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice insight you have given to us about how one feels to be in a job like yours. I mean, at times it could really get on the nerves, no? I must also say that in case I happen to be one of the customers at the Restaurant, it would be #5 though I wont borrow your bindi. :) nice outfit :)

Mary said...

Hi Truman, Thanks :)
Yeah, it does get annoying, I get comments almost every night :P
Luckily, It's only a night-time job, as I study during the day! and btw, it was a guy who borrowed my bindi!

Anonymous said...

Nice pic dear:-)
As for the comments part ,I think after a point one learns to ignore right?:-) And carry on with our job

Mary said...

Hi Minal, I have learnt to live with the comments, the best way is to say 'sorry, what was that?' and most people won't repeat what they have just said!

Anonymous said...

Hey you look superb. o wonder Afridi was crazy about you ;-)

And yea, interesting comments.....