Monday, September 12, 2005

Pride & Prejudice

I was watching the BBC series of Pride & Prejudice on DVD yesterday, and these were some lines from one of the more memorable scenes in the movie...

'...I will not be interrupted. Hear me in silence, My daughter and my nephew are formed for each other. They are descended on the maternal side, from the same noble line; and, on the father's from respectable, honourable, and ancient, though untitled families. Their fortune on both sides is splendid. They are destined for each other by the voice every member of the respective houses; and what to divide them? The upstart pretensions of a young woman without family, connections, or or fortunes. Is this to be endured! But it must not, shall not be.' - Lady Catherine

'Whatever my connections may be, if your nephew does not object to them, they can be nothing to you.' - Elizabeth Bennett

'Neither duty, nor honour, nor gratitude, have any possible claim on me, in the present instance. No principle of either, would be violated by my marriage with Mr. Darcy. And with regard to the resentment of his family, or the indignation of the world, if the former were excited by his marrying me, it would not give me one moment's concern - and the world in general would have too much sense to join in the scorn.' - Elizabeth Bennett

My thoughts.. what happened to caring about if they love each other? or is that too much to ask:)
As you may have guessed, I LOVE the book Pride & Prejudice - I read it for the first time when I was 8yrs old, and I really had absolutely no clue to what it was about :) All I got from it was that they were always worrying about all the balls they had to attend!

They way that Elizabeth has line after line of unanswerable opinions is just great :) she really gives it to people who are stuck-up, and of course those who she thinks are proud as well.
And Mr. Darcy.......I think every girls dream is Mr. Darcy :) and in the BBC series they did cast him so well, although he doesn't do to me what a certain SRK does (I was getting shouted at by both my sisters yesterday, watching the songs of Chalte Chalte, every 30 seconds or so I would see Shahrukh and just sigh... :)

No comments: