Virender Sehwag & Rahul Dravid as I saw them at the WACAThe ICC World ODI XI will play Australia on Wednesday, and I've been lucky enough to see few of these excellent players in the flesh. Here are my thoughts on what makes them special to me
* = never seen 'live'
** = I have seen 'live
* Shaun Pollock - The image I have forever stuck in my head, is the look on his face as the rain came down on their home World Cup campain - they had choked, again. Another thing that comes to mind is when I first became a member of the WACA, they had a ground tour for new members, and there was a little red-haired boy with his dad, the boy's resemblance to Shaun Pollock was amazing :)
** Virender Sehwag - He scored 32 off 34 balls at the WACA, including 6 fours, I remember that he could drive the ball very well.
** Sachin Tendulkar - Well, he is now withdrawn from the Super series, but I did get to see him make 5 runs with 1 four.. I was just SO impressed with this volleyball playing abilities in the warm-ups.. He was brilliant!
** Rahul Dravid - I saw him score 13 off 38 balls at the WACA, and wicketkeep. Dravid seemed like such a good sportsman, he was the first over to congratulate Gilchrist (who was captaining for the day) at the end of the match.. And let's face it.. I was at the same cricket ground as RAHUL DRAVID :D
* Jacques Kallis - Jacques Kallis.. I always used to say his name as 'jack-wes' instead of 'zhak' I haven't seen him play on tv for years.
** Chris Gayle - I saw him get a 3rd ball duck, and get hit for 51 off 5 overs.. That didn't really matter though, as I was supporting Pakistan! I seriously think he is a great player though.. And he was absolutely massive in real life!
** Brian Lara - ohhhhh.... Just the way he could hit the ball within 1 millimeter of a fielder and send it flying for four runs, his 4 fours I saw him get... I just got the impression he could be out in the middle for 60 balls and steal the match from the opposition! I would give anything to see him score 100 runs live! He was also a very, very nice guy.. Every time he came up the players race, if he couldn't sign an autograph, he gave everyone in the crowd a high-five on the way up, and said hello to the little kids, as well as ruffling their hair!
* Kevin Pietersen - The world-touring skunk hits Australian shores :P I had an idea after reading about his first series in South Africa that he would be something special.
* Andrew Flintoff - He was the second most influencing factor on the reason that the Poms now have the Ashes.. After Ricky Ponting's captaincy. I hope he makes a few golden ducks (sorry, I'm still upset about the Ashes!)
* Kumar Sangakkara - He had a haircut like my younger brother used to have! I think he is a wonderful player, who never blows his own trumpet.. He could be a real surprise in this series.
** Shahid Afridi - :D The only player that makes me open my mouth and scream at a cricket match.. It was terrifying when he hit sixes into the part of the crowd I was sitting in!
Also a very under-rated bowler, who can turn matches. I saw him hit 23 off 10 balls.. And had the two most terrifying moments of my life in the process when 2 sixes came within 10 meters of me!
I also got to meet him!! The first time, he was coming up the player race after warmups - he was in a hurry and had already walked past a few autograph hunters (including me) when suddenly he looked down, saw me and stopped (:D thanks again Shahid!) He autographed my 'Shaabaash Shahid' sign for me.. He actually lent it on his bat when he was writing it!!! He then asked me 'Oh... What part of Pakistan are you from'.. I was absolutely stunned, and answered 'Oh, I live in Australia' he said 'Oh' he was a little disappointed, but told me he loved my sign. After the 1st innings, in which Pakistan had batted, on the way out to field, he stopped by me & my younger sister ( I had no clue why!) got our attention and said 'Oh, I just wanted to tell you, you girls really look gorgeous today!) He was just the most lovely guy.. sigh!
*Shoaib Akhtar - The 'actor' was injured when the Pakistani team were playing in Perth, so I luckily didn't get to be added to his list of 'I think of all my fans as my girlfriends' comment :P I think Akhtar can be deadly when he is on, and terrible when he is off.. Let's hope he's on!
* Makhaya Ntini - I'm sure he has improved in leaps and bounds since the last time he controversially was included to play the Aussies.
* Muttiah Muralitharan - One of my friends has actually met him in Perth! (he's here a lot for testing!) I think he doesn't chuck. I would be very pleased if the crowd would be decent towards him too.
* Daniel Vettori - The only cricketer I've seen play in glasses! Den-yel Vettori (that's how the NZs say it) is every Aussies worst nightmare...He bowls us out, and then scores runs as well, all with a semi-idiotic grin on his face :)

The prized autograph!
7 comments:
I saw 'Rawalpindi Express' when he entered the same pub I was in. He had this one hell of a beauuuuuuuuttifulll chick holding his arm. As evident, I barely noticed him aftee seeing his partner ;-). The pub is called 'Sea' in Newcastle.
WOW! you saw Shoaib :) or should I say you saw his partner..!
So are you in England then? (There is a place in Australia called Newcastle as well)
Gayle, Sangakkara are underdogs- it would be interesting to see how they perform here.
I must say you are lucky to meet so many cricketers. I am looking forward to the Super Series too :)
Truman - it's great to watch the cricket in WA, 'cause you can literally talk to the players as they sit outside their dressing rooms! and most players are just so nice! I can't wait for the Super Series either!!! 3 days time :D
Mary,
I currently envy you like anything:-) First you are an Aussie and catch the players live in action season after season, now you get to see the world's best.
I can't wait for the super series to kick-off. Though I'm really feeling bad Tendulkar has not made it and am pretty unhappy with the way ICC has dealt with Inzy,surely he did not deserve it and he was right in not accepting the replacement call earlier!
Minal - hmmm I only wish that Melbourne & Sydney were close enough to go to the games :) The ICC did make a huge mess out of selecting & informing ( or not informing!) Inzy - and I really do think the World XI doesn't quite feel *real* without Tendulkar there!
@Mary: Yup, am in England. Will be back in India, hopefully,end of the month.
Post a Comment