Wednesday, November 09, 2005

The business of deciding a birthday cake...

Ok, I need help - and fast.

Mum goes shopping tomorrow, and I have to say what type of birthday cake I want, so she can buy all the ingredients.. I was warned of this fact 14 days ago, and guess what? I start looking for a cake tonight! anway, I've been looking through 1000+ cake recipes (no kidding!) and I have come up with sort of a short list.. so please, please, please, please tell me what you think - what cake should I have?

* White Chocolate layer cake with apricot filling and white chocolate buttercream
* Hazelnut, Chocolate and Strawberry torte
* Triple-layer white cake with orange curd filling
* Milk chocolate mousse cake with Hazelnut crunch crust
* Persian love cake
* Devil's food cake with chocolate-orange buttercream
* Lemon layer cake with lemon curd and mascarpone
* White chocolate truffle and chocolate fudge layer cake
* Chocolate-Cranberry torte
* Double Chocolate torte
* Strawberry baked alaska
* Strawberry basket cake
* Strawberry cream cake
* Strawberry and cream cake with cardamom syrup
* Strawberry lemon bavarian cake
* Marizpan-topped strawberry layer cake
* Frozen strawberry lemon meringue torte
* Triple-Chocolate Cookie and Icecream Sandwiches (ok, ok, I got a little distracted! they sound nice)
* Red Velvet cake with raspberries and blueberries
* Mixed-Berry chiffon cake with almond cream cheese frosting
* Ginger cake with crystallized ginger frosting
* Peppermint fudge cake
* Mocha Ice cream cake

Note: I would send you all a piece of whatever cake it ends up being, .. but.. you can't send food into Australia, so I doubt you can send it out of Australia either (good excuse!) so how about a promise that you're all invited to my 21st next year instead :D

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote for - Ginger cake with crystallized ginger frosting :-)

Anonymous said...

Triple chocolate but of course (u already sound kicked by the idea of that one nyways I see ;) )
On a different track cricinfo did this piece on Steve Waugh on somethign he cant really be proud of http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/224522.html (kinda proves he is mortal :) )

Mary said...

Dinesh - Thankyou, mmm that cake does sound nice!

Mary said...

Rohan - But the triple chocolate isn't really a cake.. it's biscuits :(

Ahh.. Steve Waugh and runouts.. you know my explanation of his batting partner always getting run out instead of him is... that Steve Waugh was fast enough to get the run, and sadly the guy at the other end could never run as fast :D

Anonymous said...

I would go for the White Chocolate layer cake with apricot filling and white chocolate buttercream or the Devil's food cake.

Mary said...

Brewtus - Thanks :) yes, they both sound really yummy!

Anonymous said...

Sorry my bad I just get all overexcited and drool faced at the prospect of a triple chocolate cake (anything else that has chocolate on it wud be my other recommendation) :)

Mary said...

Rohan.. ahhh you liked chocolate icecream too right? ;)

Anonymous said...

My 2 choices :)

1- White Chocolate Truffle And Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake.

Bitter sweet symphony. Pure chocolate gives the bitter taste while the white chocolate balances it with sweet.

2- Milk Chocolate Mousse Cake With Hazelnut Crunch Crust

Contrasting. Mousse's softness coupled with the crunch. Best of both worlds :)

Anonymous said...

Mocha ice cream cake, I'd day! But what do I know, I am just a sucker for coffe and ice cream:-)

Mary said...

Truman - nice choices! :) mmm.. if I want 2 cakes maybe I can talk my twin sister into having one of those.. but she's already decided what she's having :( oh well!

Mary said...

Tugga - The mocha icecream cake is lovely! it's what my brother had for his 18th :)