Sunday, November 20, 2005

7th Heaven


I am very very happy? why?

I GOT TO PLAY IN A CRICKET MATCH TODAY!!! :D

Signed Western Warriors shirt off the wall and slipped on over my head, black shorts, adidas shoes laced, lots of sunblock slapped on, hair tied and pinned back, NSW Blues hat on, ring off, contact lenses on, sunglasses on.. all of which means.. I'm playing a cricket match today!

Some of our friends had organized a social cricket match today, Vatican XI vs Presidents XI, 1.30pm Catholic College Oval, Bunbury. 30 overs per side, normal rules - with the exception that you couldn't get a first ball duck.

I was placed with my brothers, a few of their friends and dads, and our Sri Lankan friend on the Vatican XI, we won the toss and elected to bat.

First 5 overs, 4 wickets lost. damn.
Next 5 overs, not many runs I'm in to bat at 7.. send Peter out infront of me, cause I want to practice more.
Over 15.. I'm in to bat.. 1st ball.. no run.. 2nd ball.. no run.. 3rd ball .. no run.. 4th ball.. close! nearly bowled.. no run... 5th ball.. bowled!! oh well, I love fielding best anyway.

Vatican XI is all out in the 30th over for 109, Presidents XI need 110 to win.

Fielding.. hmm no balls coming my way, still I clap all the other bowlers and ohhh and ahh at the close ones.. younger brother Tom gets the 1st wicket.

Over 5.. 'Mary, do you want to bowl?' 'Ummm.. I'm very bad!' I say.. 'C'mon, give it a go!' they say 'OK!'.. I hand my hat to the umpire, who remarks that I'm wearing a NSW hat with a WA shirt.. whatever!.

1st ball.. I flight it up... 1 run.. wow! I got the ball on the pitch :P
2nd ball.. flighted up again.. everyone is a little impressed
3rd ball.. GOT'IM!!! yay! #3 batsman (who plays local B-Grade) is caught behind.. wow! I got a wicket
4th ball,.. wide, wide, no run(maybe the success has got to my head :P )
5th ball... no run
6th ball.. no run

2nd Over..
1st ball.. 4 runs, just missed getting caught on the boundary
2nd ball.. Wicket, caught in the outfield
3rd ball.. no run (everyone tells me I'm setting him up well)
4th ball.. 1 run
5th ball.. Another wicket!!! he advanced down the pitch, and stumped!
6th ball.. no run

Drinks break.. everyone asks what cricket team do I play for.. I tell them I haven't bowled a ball on a pitch in 1 1/2 years.. cause they won't let girls play with the boys in the local league, and there is no girls teams.

So in the end, yours truly finished with 3 wickets, the most by either side :))))
We lost the match by a considerable margin.. but who cares! I love cricket!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good on you, u go girl :)

Anonymous said...

And I'm proud of you girl.
Way to go:-)
Hoping someday you'll tour India with the women's team and remember me when I approach you for an autograph;-)

Anonymous said...

Great! They should let you play in the local league now.

Mary said...

Rohan - Thanks :) I was really excited that they let me play!!

Mary said...

Minal - :D I wish! If in the unlikely event that did happen, of course I would :P !

I had a great time playing though, it really is the best sport in the world!

Mary said...

Brewtus - That would be nice if they did.. but no such luck
:( 2yrs ago when they told me I wasn't allowed to play with the guys I cried (and I never cry) for 2 whole days

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,

I liked the last line of your post which says "We lost, who cares....I LOVE CRICKET" Well said.

I really appreciate your passion for the game. I am from Mumbai, India and here girls are not that interested in Cricket. The only exeption is Minal. She is a real cricket freak and happened to meet her about 6 months back at a friends party.

I liked your naive way of describing the match that you played.

Anyways, It was goog to read your post and understand your enthusiam for the game.

Keep playing. If the club don't let you in try and form an all girls team or something. All the best.

Bhaskar Tatke

Mary said...

Bhaskar - Thank you very much for the encouragement :)
Yes, Minal is the only other girl I can think of who adores cricket too!

I'll keep playing social matches in the hope that one day in the proper league, they'll let a girl play :)

Anonymous said...

Wow u play cricket too....
gr8 going.....