Saturday, February 11, 2006

Australia has a shock

"Everyone thought it was a two horse race, the third horse just won the first final....."

-Marvan Atapattu, while being interviewed after the first final.



Photo from Cricinfo



Sri Lanka became the first team in 9 years to beat Australia in a home final.
I was lucky enough to watch the entire first innings, and then home from work early to catch the second half of Australia's chase..

Have you ever seen one team suffer from five run-outs in the one match? and four to the same fielder? Dilshan made the entire Australian cricket team look like they had just landed at the Adelaide Oval from a under 10s match (trust me, I've watched u/10s cricket!)

And to the supporters of other countries who's cricket teams are (in)famous for their run-outs.. I sympathize..

Bring on Sydney!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did u see the way Australian ran their wickets out? I think Australia has still in it to win the series.

Mary said...

:( did I ever see how the Australians ran! but it was just fantastic work by the Sri Lankans.. fulll credit to them :) they have set up a wonderful 2nd final.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure of Lankans winning the series it is a real though task.
Australia still the favourites.I will be not suprised to see a real fast pitch in the next match a grave yard for batsmen from the sub continent.

Mary said...

@ Tarun.. well Australia won the second final..should be a good one at the Gabba Tuesday now..

Anonymous said...

All i can say is Australia will retain that 13 year record.
its just one bad day.
Remember SL were trashed 6-1 by India in home series.

I m sure the Third final will be very interesting.

If Australia lose in the THIRD FINAL
i guess Ponting will be sacked.

Mary said...

@ Nirmal.. well I don't know if Ponting would be sacked (Mike Hussey for captain!!) well, judging by what they did to Steve Waugh, they should sack Ponting if Aus were to lose the series.. you are right, we are set for one great final in Brisbane tomorrow :D

Sri Lanka are a confidence side, and have many stars who can turn the match (Vaas, Murali, Sanga, Dilshan in the field etc) so Australia had better not get too complacent.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Ponting will be sacked he is in the form of life.I mean check out his batting for last year or so.
I think he is the one batsmen who can come close to breaking Tendulkar's record for most centuries.
Sri Lanka cant say much.They need to bat first and bat well in order to challenge Australia
The balance is tilted towards Australia.

Anonymous said...

Run-outs are suicidal for batting sides. Australia committed the same not once,twice but 5 times!
It was heartening to see SL set up a fight cause they ensure it would go down to the third game.

Only to see Aus assault them in the second match mercilessly! Butchers those two:Ponting and Symonds! Boy what a manner to get your revenge!

Wathc out for Clarke , he has finally regained his touch and he definitely gets my vote for Aussie of the next decade!

Mary said...

@ Tarun - LOL! I didn't mean he would get sacked as a batsman, just as captain...

Anyways, look what happened! Australia 2-1 :D

@ Minal - yes, yes, yes! Totally agree with you on your observations there :)

Hussey is my Aussie of the next decade :) (he's West Aussie!)
& we all thought that Ponting & Symonds thrashed the Lankans.. look what Gilly just did.. :O

@ Tarun - (again)! Yep 2-1 .. Awesome!

Anonymous said...

heyyy.. you know?? your Dravid is one of the players who get/cause run outs often. 30 so far for Dravid. 7 behind Inzzmam and Yousuf

Mary said...

@ Arvind - :O I didn't know that stat! lol