Monday, February 06, 2006

2006 Allan Border Medallist.. is..

Tonight is 'Allan Border Medal Night' for all the Australian cricketers, with the question on everyone's mind - who will win?

I did my annual excel spreadsheet (I look up all the scorecards for the past year, rate the three best players, give them points as 5, 3 & 1 and total it all up) and these are my picks for this years awards...


One Day International Player of the Year

3rd place - Adam Gilchrist/Brett Lee 29/28 votes
It's too close to call to separate these two players, Adam Gilchrist has had a superb end to the VB series, while Brett Lee has won Australia at least 4 matches in the past year.

2nd place - Andrew Symonds - 31 votes
When he's on, he's on! Andrew Symonds usually is MOTM, or scores a duck, however he is ineligible for this year's awards due to a drinking episode pre-Ashes.

WINNER - Michael Hussey - 39 votes
I'm predicting that Michael Hussey will street this high-class field, wherever in the world Australia played, whatever the situation, he saves and wins games time and again. His brilliant 62 off just 44 balls on Friday should cement him as favourite.

Test Player of the Year

3rd place - Ricky Ponting - 16 votes
Australia's first ever Ashes-losing captain did actually have a fantastic year with the bat, his twin hundreds against the West Indies and South Africa being standouts.

2nd place - Brett Lee - 18 votes
18 months in the wilderness was quite enough for Brett Lee who came back with a vengeance in the Ashes series, his spirit, fire and determination kept Australia from crumbling to a worse Ashes defeat than they suffered. Leading the attack with Glenn McGrath 2005 should be remembered as Brett Lee's year.

WINNER - Shane Warne - 19 votes
What can I say? I hate him.. I have to love him for how he played in the Ashes..
The fact that I could stand to watch him play during that series means he must have been seriously good... All the best Shane!

Allan Border medalist
I'm not going to say just one winner - (although there will not be a tie!)
Instead I'm wishing luck to.. Michael Hussey, Ricky Ponting & Brett Lee!





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

All three deserve it don't they? But I'll give Brett Lee the edge, cricket is pretty unfair to the bowlers and high time they get their due:-)

Of his 5-22 Vs SA in this series, 4 of them were bowled, caught the match here and was stunned in silence. Sigh! India just needs one bowler to that for them and it will make them a world of difference!

Anonymous said...

I thought he would have been a toss between Warne and Ponting they both played well last year.

Mary said...

@ Minal - Yes, but I agree with you, the edge to Brett Lee he really deserves it, plus Hussey can win it next year ;-)

He was just awesome to watch live at the WACA ground as well..I didn't catch his 5-22 on tv, but saw the replays!

@ Tarun - Maybe Ponting will win it! Shane Warne won't win it because he only plays Test cricket now, and someone who peforms well over both forms of the game is sure to win!

Anonymous said...

Good work!

Ricky Ponting is one of my favourite cricketers! :)

And your pic in the newspaper.. Great going!! :D

Mary said...

@ Rohit - & Ricky won!! First time the same player has won the medal twice :D

Thanks :) I guess training hard for swimming paid off!

Oh, and welcome to my blog :) I really enjoy reading yours!