Friday, October 27, 2006

mera ghar mei hai.. subah ke aath baje.

mere parivar ke bare mei...

subah ke aath baje

pitaji - mera wallet* kaha hai? mera keys* kaha hai?
mataji - are! tum hamesha kehta ho 'yah kaha hai? voh kaha hai?'
mary - haan haan aapka wallet aur aapka keys fridge par honge.
chota bhai - mujhko khana chahiye! abhi abhi!
mataji - are! tum nahin mangta ho, ab khana mat kaao. yah sava aath baje hai, tum sat baje nasthta kaye. Tom kaha hai?
mary - Tom so raha hai.
mataji - mai kya karoongi? voh ladka nahin uthaa hai.
mary - haan haan, ab mai hindi par rahi hoon.


My amatuerish attempt to re-create a morning scene at my house, off the top of my head without looking at examples. Probably lots of mistakes, but if I don't try I won't learn :)

* If anyone could tell me the Hindi words/gender of these (if indeed you don't just use the english word) please do! :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha not bad.. although im not sure many people use mataji and pitaji anymore.. kind of old fashioned..
anyway wallet is batua (masculine)
as in mera batua kahaan hain?
keys are chaabiyaan (feminine)
as in meri chaabiyaan kahaan hain?

btw what do u make of the india/aus encounter tomorrow?

Mary said...

@ renegadefade - Welcome to my blog :)

Thanks! aha.. so Mataji and Pitaji are old-fashioned.. people would usually say mama and papa or something like that right? :)

Oh the Aus v India encounter.. pity it wasn't more of a match! :(

Pradeep Nair said...

Just stumbled on this blog via my friend Aditya's Times of Truman.

I can make out that you are doing Hindi classes. That's interesting. Wish you the best for the exams! And, I guess preparations for the b'day are in full swing... Take care.

Anonymous said...

You are doing great sweetie...

Brewtus said...

hey mary, how come you dont have a poll for your b'day cake like last year?

Mary said...

@ Pradeep - Hi and welcome to my blog! :)
Yes I do study Hindi, at the moment through a university program :) thanks for the wishes!

@ SRK - Thanks ShahRukh! :D

@ Brewtus - OMG! :O you have such a wonderful memory! :D you should win a prize for remembering I had a poll 1 year back for my bday cake!

Well this year I went back to my old 'cake poll' post and checked the links for ideas - still undecided about a cake so check back soon! I may just have a poll.

Brewtus said...

Happy B'day!

Maysun said...

Hi Mary,

I just found your blog and loved this one. Your Hindi's cool. :-)

Maysun