Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Chokers no more..



1992 World Cup, South Africa vs England, Sydney

At stake: A place in the World Cup final

After a rain delay, the South African team needed 22 runs from 11 balls for victory - but with rain delaying the match further.. the scoreboard flashed up what was needed for victory.. an impossible 22 of 1 ball.

1999 World Cup Australia v South Africa

At stake:Final placings after the Super Sixes phase.

Herschelle 'You've just dropped the World Cup mate' Gibbs famously drops Australian Captain Steve Waugh.. who goes on to win the match with 120 runs off just 110 balls.

1999 World Cup Australia v South Africa



At stake: A place in the World Cup final

Last over: South Africa needed 9 runs and Australia 1 wicket for victory

49.1 Fleming to Klusener - FOUR
49.2 Fleming to Klusener - FOUR
49.3 Fleming to Klusener - yorker, no run.. Donald almost run out at the non-strikers end.
49.4 Fleming to Klusener - full pitched ball.. driven back past the bowler, Klusener calls for a single.. Donald fails to hear the call.. and all hell breaks loose..
Australia tie the match and mark the start of their world domination.

South Africa meanwhile, would hold onto their tag as chokers for another 7 years...

2003 World Cup South Africa v Sri Lanka

At stake: progressing to the Super Sixes phase

Before the match was delayed due to rain, the South African team were shown the D/L score sheet - what the par score would be to TIE the match. In typical fashion the South African team blocked the last ball (of what was then declared the full match) and were out of their home World Cup.

The image of Shaun Pollock sitting in the South African dressing rooms, with rain pouring down the windows just burying his head in his hands is still clear in my memory - I just couldn't work out how they could blow it, AGAIN!




2006 South Africa v Australia, Johannesburg


At stake: Series tied at 2-2, final game decider.

Australia score a world record 434 - smashing the previous best set by Sri Lanka by 36 runs. Ponting scores a magnificent 164 and Australia bask in the sweet light of universal domination.. or so they think..

Flash back: Series tied at 2-2, post match
"I thought they were the team that were choking,
if that's the word, under pressure a little bit at the back end" - Graeme Smith

"We've won the game. If they want to start talking like that, they'll want to have a look at their own performances and see if they can back that up." - Ricky Ponting

Enter Shane Warne, never far from drama with this comment
"At the end of the day, it was the worst South African team to ever tour Australia. They didn't make the finals of the one-dayers. They lost [the Test series] 2-0, and they probably should have lost 3-0. Smith didn't make a 50. He just keeps making these outrageous and ridiculous statements and doesn't back it up."

What more did we need to start a war?

Last over: Lee to bowl.. 7 runs needed with 2 wickets remaining..

49.1 Lee to Boucher, one run
49.2 Lee to Hall, FOUR, driven down the ground through midwicket
49.3 Lee to Hall, OUT: hits it straight to Clarke at mid on
49.4 Lee to Ntini, one run, guided down to third man, scores are tie
49.5 Lee to Boucher, FOUR

and the rest, as they say is history.

A few observations of my own (and no, I didn't get to watch it on TV) are



** Why did Ricky Ponting bowl Mick Lewis in over # 47? I even think he could have bowled himself and achieved a better result!

** Did Ricky Ponting score the highest score ever by a losing batsmen in a ODI?

** Will Herschelle Gibbs be remembered for this innings more, or for his World Cup drop?

And finally, a big CONGRATULATIONS to the South African team - it's amazing what happens when you believe in yourself, it was probably the greatest day in their sporting history! - here's hoping that more teams back themselves to take it up to Australia, in the end it will only be good for cricket :)

Photos from cricinfo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the title.
1.Stands a dubious decision.
2.I think so.
3.Forget the world cup Gibbs will be remembered for this match winning knock you dont see, 175 of 111 every other day.
I now consider SA favourites to win the world cup

Anonymous said...

Excellent match! I missed :( live.
BUt I am sure there will be a dvd out in India and will get it as soon as I reach there.

Anonymous said...

"here's hoping that more teams back themselves to take it up to Australia, in the end it will only be good for cricket"

you felt it a bit boring when your team was winning everything the last 4-5 yrs?

Anonymous said...

http://indvseng06.msnspecials.in/dravid1.asp

Mary said...

First of all.. sorry for taking a while to reply to everyone's comments.. assignments due and Commonwealth Games have meant I haven't really been online lately!

@ Tarun - Yes, that was if I remember correctly Richie Benaud's rain-rule.. still D/L system is also quite dodgy. SA favourites for the World Cup.. lets see ;)

@ Dinesh - Yeah, I'm upset I missed it on TV as well.. funny thing was after the Aussie's had got the WR in the 1st innings, my brother said 'don't worry, we'll be able to buy the DVD one day' and he didn't know about the final result yet!

@ Arvind - Yep, I much prefer I close contest (like Aus v India matches tend to be) that us thrashing everyone.. except of course when we play either England or New Zealand.. I love the aussies winning then!

And thanks for the Rahul Dravid link! isn't it awesome that he is playing his 100th test! :)

Anonymous said...

Yes as a Dravid Fan u should also be congratulated ;)