Sunday, September 05, 2010

Meet the parents, Part III

If you haven't been following this story, check out part I and part II first!

...at that moment my phone rang...

and if you know me, my phone NEVER rings! why? because I have this aversion to phones that ring in public (I always feel so rude), so I always keep it on "silent" mode. So here I am, I've just met H's Mama, and my phone rings!

I excused myself and answered the phone, it was D! it was a mutual college friend from Singapore who was going to help me show H's Mama around for the day. She was somewhere near the cricket oval, but couldn't spot us yet. I told H's Mama that she was looking for us, and she pointed to a girl around 200m away. My sight (even with glasses) is not really excellent, so I wasn't sure! but sure enough there was D! she came jumping over to meet us.

We decided to let H. play cricket and go for a walk along the river that runs alongside the uni. H. had warned me not to let his Mama walk too much, as she was very tired from the long series of flights from Germany to Australia. So we decided to go to a nice river side cafe and drink tea. By this stage I was really loving H's Mama. She was really sweet and LOVED to talk. She told me all about H's childhood (hehe!) and some stories of how he was as a little kid. One of the stories she related was how H. used to love to play all day long, any type of game (he's still the same now) and how he always left his study till the last moment, but could still get top marks because he was so smart (again, he's still the same).

After sitting and drinking tea for ages, we decided to talk a 1km walk up to the college where H. stays, and to show his Mama his room etc. At this point D. had to leave us to go into the city with friends, so it was just me and H's Mama left together.

She started asking me what my parents do, would H. be able to get a good job in Australia, do Aussie boys have such messy rooms as H. etc. it was so awkward and yet so funny :D Then she suggested that we go and finish packing up H's room for the holidays.

We made our way up into his room, and she started packing up his clothes, while I gathered things from the bathroom.

H's Mama started packing his shoes when suddenly I realised something and froze. There was a hidden note "I love you" written in Punjabi under his shoes, and he hadn't found it yet!! She would see it! what could I do.... ?!


2 comments:

Maria said...

Oh, Mary, that was a close one, ha ha! Don't worry, these things happen. Haven't seen you for a while, saw you in Anki's comment box.

Mary said...

@ Gaelikaa,

Hehe! it sure was. :-) and wow, isn't is great how 'small' the blogosphere is sometimes... I had only just found Anki's blog. :-)