Friday, June 25, 2010

Meet the parents, Part I

As many long-time followers of my blog probably know, I've known H. for 4 1/2 years now. Although I don't call him my boyfriend (I don't believe in that, as people who have boyfriends/girlfriends in Australia tend to have a new one every few months!!), I do know that there is a high probability of us wanting to get married one day. :-)

A bit of background: H's parents, although Indian, currently live in Germany. This has made it very hard for me to meet them as not only is Germany a long way away, it's pretty much impossible to just drop by from Australia with a 'friend' to come and stay. Also, neither I or H. thought it would seem right for an un-engaged couple to go travelling around the world to meet his parents, just because other people would assume things that are definitely not happening!

Anyway, to shorten a long story, this means that although H. has met my parents 1.5 years back, I was still yet to meet his parents, and his parents didn't know about me. H. had decided not to tell them until we got really serious about marriage, because he thought that A) this announcement would cause a 1-2 year argument and B) he didn't want to put his parents through undue stress if we weren't 100% sure that we wanted to get married one day soon.

H. graduates from his Masters degree here in Australia in 1 year's time, so his parents naturally told him they would come to Australia only then, and see his college and friends at that time. H. didn't want to wait this long, especially since his motive for getting them to Australia at an earlier time would be to have them meet me, and then he would break the news that we want to get married one day. If that happened in 1 years time, we would be getting quite a bit older, and anticipating the 1-2 year argument, would put us very close to 7-8 years of knowing each other before marriage!!!

After some long conversations with his Mama and Didi, H. finally convinced his Mama to come to Australia in this year's uni winter break. The plan was to get her to meet me as his 'best friend' (technically this is exactly what we are), and then once he had flown over to stay at his Didi's house with Mama, to break the news about us.

What happens next? wait and see....


No comments: