Ciao, Comment Allez vous? was the new line of Italian I showed off to my sister C, after listening to an Italian podcast for a grand total of 5 minutes. She replied with peals of laughter, because, unfortunately I had got messed up and said Hello (Ciao) in Italian, and How are you? (Comment Allez vous?) in French! at this rate I'll be speaking Italian-French-Hindi-English by the time I land in Paris around 60 days from now...
My Mum had a great idea for communicating in France, she suggested we don't learn French, but instead if we are lost find an Indian and speak in Hindi! :P Fancy my French ancestors (who lived in France back as early as the 1600s) reaction if they had heard that in 400+ years time their relatives would be talking in Hindi to get around in France!
I have started to get a little bit enthusiastic about this trip (yeah I know I should be jumping up and down really really excited, but I'm not) because the thought suddenly struck me that when I am in Italy, there will be heaps of Italians! :O Imagine that.. everyone will have black curly hair, look like they live in the Vogue magazine, and all speak Italian! :O don't ask me why, but that all seems so foreign, and sure makes me realise that I'll be in an entirely different part of this world! :) And I'll also be visiting the town that my great-grandfather grew up in, called Lucca, in Tuscany.. so my first words in Italian after Ciao, had better be 'my great-grandfather is from here' .
Speaking of Italian, it isn't very hard at all, and maybe the Italian language children's books my parents read when I was younger, the Italian comics I tried to read when 6yrs old, and the book '1000 first words in Italian' of which I was a great fan of when around 7yrs old.. have all finally come in useful.
No comments:
Post a Comment