Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Balle Balle! Engagement Part III

I was nervously counting down the seconds until H. and his family would arrive at my home. Mummy, Daddy, Gran and Pop were engaging in chatter with me about my outfit, the house decorations, the football, the weather - but honestly my mind was in a completely different place.

I started to shake and feel very, very cold and faint - oh my gosh! just 10 more minutes until THEY arrive. I had never even met H's Papa before. What would his family think of me? would they be happy with our engagement? was everything going to be completely awkward? was someone going to say something completely out of place while trying to joke and ruin it between our parents? just then, my phone beeped. A text message! who was it from? It was from H. letting me know that his family were running quite late and the estimated time of arrival was now 12.40pm and they were just leaving his house in the car now.

12.40pm!! I couldn't decide whether this freaked me out even more or was good news, given that I would have another 30 minutes to regain my composure before meeting everyone.

The next 30 minutes went by in a blur. Everytime I heard the noise of a car go down the street I would jump and wonder if they were here yet. After 5(!) false alarms I saw a white car turn slowly into our driveway. Life started to go into S.L.O.W. M.O.T.I.O.N.... I literally froze on the spot. I felt totally and completely overwhelmed. My plan had been to run out at say HIIIII to everyone as soon as they arrived. But I suddenly felt completely shy and like I was going to cry.

In my head thoughts were swirling around about how I had met H. online in 2006 through a cricket fan club by complete random chance, how we had stuck with a long distance relationship for over 3 years, even through times when we could barely contact each other. How I had met him in person 2 1/2 years ago and found out how completely perfect we were for each other. How we had been prepared to wait years if necessary for our parents to agree to our marriage. Somehow, we had made it through all this time and it was TIME. I was meeting his parents, his family, his friends and we were getting engaged in the next hour.

As I stood on the spot with these thoughts swirling around I asked Mummy: "should I run and hide or say hello?". She said "Don't be silly, they've come to see you - go and say hello".

With that I cautiously pushed the door open and heard a HUGE SHRIEK from my younger brother who had just spotted H. hopping out of the car in a TURBAN! (H. doesn't usually wear one). My little brother was exclaiming OH MY! it's H! Mary, It's H! Look what he's wearing!! I kept walking carefully out the door holding my soft silk lengha carefully in one hand. I was hoping not to trip and fall as I was wearing high heels - not something I am used to at all. H. got out of the front door of the car and smiled - I nearly cried again. He looked SO HANDSOME. I had never seen him in full traditional dress and WOW! I loved how he looked in his turban.

Behind H. was his Sister (Didi), her Husband (Veerji) and his parents. I greeted them in a daze and said hello to his Papa for the first time! OH MY GOSH. I had now met H's whole family.

H. meanwhile was busy running around getting drinks and chairs organised. A few more friends pulled up and the party was starting! As I waited outside the house on the steps for H. to come inside again his Papa came outside and approached me. He put his arm around me to give me a hug and whispered to me "I've waited so long for this day Beti, I am so happy. Welcome to the family".

I just smiled and couldn't say anything. H's Papa went out of his way to tell me how happy he was that I was getting engaged to his Son. That moment totally made my day. :)

More guests flowed into the house - one of them, a young auntie of one of H's room-mates - dashed up to me, gave me a hug and said "you must be the girl - Mary!, so nice to meet you!" and asked me how I was feeling. I told her I was a completely and totally nervous and she just smiled and said "you'll be ok baby". With that I took a deep breath and tried to enjoy the moment as everyone stood around chatting waiting for the engagement to start.

No comments: