I jumped out of bed checked H's shiny gold engagement ring, still sitting on my bedside table. Wow. the ring was still there! This was still feeling like some kind of incredible lifelike dream, somehow coming true?
flowers on our mantelpiece
I skipped from my bedroom to our beautifully decorated house, silent and still so early in the morning. The stock blooms that I had arranged the night before gave the house a lovely fragrance. I settled into my usual morning routine - morning prayers, boiled the kettle for a cup of Dilmah tea and then turned on my laptop. However I didn't feel like going online this morning. So I shut the laptop and instead got out the blank engagement card and mostly finished letter that I was going to give H. Throughout our long distance relationship we had sent letters and cards to each other. Each and every one that I've received from H (over 50 pages worth!) is extremely precious to me, so I thought he would love a letter and card today even though we aren't living in different cities anymore.
So what does one write in an engagement card and letter? Well, that can be a secret ;) . Actually I just wrote to H. about how much he means to me and described the minute that I knew I HAD to marry him one day. (it was our first phone call back in 2006 -I was phoning from Australia and he was caught during a rainstorm in Chennai). Let's just say from the minute I heard H's voice I knew that he was the one I wanted to spend my life with. :)
After a beautiful hour dreaming and finishing off the card and letter I started getting into gear for the rest of the day. I had purposefully added LOTS of time to my schedule so I wouldn't get caught in my usual trap of being able to get dressed up prettily with makeup, yet somehow running out of time so quickly that I have to do a complete slap-dash job of it. That wasn't going to happen today.
After eating a bowl of muesli for breakfast to ensure I had enough energy for the day, I started work on my makeup. Next step was to get my twin sister C. to braid my hair. My hair decided this was just the occasion to be extra-curly so it took her a good hour to get the braid to look decent. As this was happening I watched Bollywood clips on YouTube via my iPad.
After my hair was done around 9am, I decided to start on my makeup. I'm actually not a frequent wearer of makeup but did want to wear some for this special day. I played some Bollywood tunes on my iPad as I got to work. After a little while, I heard a car door slam, and a lady's voice inside the house. I completely f.r.o.z.e thinking "OH MY GOSH!" that can't be H's family here at 10.30am could it? could it?! As a reflex action I locked myself in the bathroom and decided to pretend that I was having a shower - I felt totally unprepared to see anyone! At this stage I realised my nerves were setting in for the engagement. I started shaking and feeling a little sick.
Beautiful cake made by my younger sister and Indian snack foods!
I kept on listening to the chatter going on outside the bathroom door - and suddenly I realised - that was my GRAN outside. Oh! that's different! I quickly opened the door and ran out to say hello. She had arrived with a huge bunch of pretty orange gerbras for me!! I quickly took her to have a sneak peak at my beautiful lengha.
Gran left and the time ticked over to 11am, suddenly my family arrived at the house to drop off my younger brother and younger sister, along with our engagement cake. Time suddenly sped at a crazy rate and before I knew it, it was time to get my contact lenses on and put on my lengha... I checked my FB quickly before shutting my laptop down and there was a message from H. it read...
Will you Mary me Marry? :D
Gosh, even though it's a joke (Mary and MARRY mixed up) it was amazing to read that. We were finally getting engaged! :)

With the lengha on, it was time to sit around and wait for my fiancé-to-be and his family to arrive at our house. They were due at 12pm sharp...

Ready and waiting for H.
With the lengha on, it was time to sit around and wait for my fiancé-to-be and his family to arrive at our house. They were due at 12pm sharp...
What music was I listening to? Pee Loon :)

No comments:
Post a Comment