I'll start the story of our engagement the night before.
(play this song)
Our engagement was arranged to take place at 12pm on Saturday, 17th of September at the rental house that I share with my twin sister, C.
Friday was a huge rush! We had organised to wake up early and decorate the house first thing in the morning. With hand made couch covers, Indian-style cushions, 500+ fairy lights covered with tissue paper flowers and a general house move around to make sure we could get the 30 or so guests into our front room for the engagement celebrations.
After a very busy morning I was exhausted! (seriously! have you ever 'puffed up' 500 tissue paper flowers? decorated an entire house for an engagement? it's fun but exhausting work).
The afternoon seemed to speed by so fast. I started to panic a bit because I still hadn't tried on the lengha with blouse that H's Mama had given me the day before. Because of some serious arguments about the size and length of the blouse (I didn't want it to show my tummy! because I like to be modest) I had 2 blouses to choose from. Luckily the smaller, pretty blouse fit fine and showed only the tiniest bit of skin (yay!). Of course, it true fashion I had a spider bite on the tiny bit of skin(!) LOL. Oh well.
At 4pm I finally found the time to put the lengha on. OH NO. OH MY GOSH! You'll never guess what happened. The lengha was far too long for me! I am only 160cm tall (5 "3) so this often happens. I didn't own any high heels except for one black pair which definitely didn't match! Plus, I can't wear high heels elegantly! I fall over and trip myself all the time.
After a few moments of panic I called twin sister C. over and started trying on all of her high heeled shoes. She had some gorgeous silver heels, and gold heels which would look beautiful with my lengha. BUT her foot size is a full 1.5 sizes bigger than mine! So even though the lengha hid this it did feel like I was playing dress ups with too big heels.
This prompted a mad scramble to shower and get ready to go to the closest shoe shop, which shut at 5pm (we had 30 minutes). We ran in and THANKFULLY sparkly shoes are the rage at the moment in Australia! I tried on 2 pairs while the young shop assistant asked what I needed them for. I said 'For my Indian Engagement tomorrow' (wow! me, engaged!!). She had never heard of such a concept so was a little confused. She even tried to sell me a matching handbag! :P
After successfully finding some beautiful sparkly HIGH HIGH heels we drove over to Church, around 30 minutes away. It was a real blessing to be able to sit in the quiet of the Church for 45 minutes and forget about all the stress and panic of the day. I sat and remembered how long I've been praying for this day. It feels so lovely when all your hopes, dreams, wishes and prayers start slowly, slowly coming true.
With renewed energy, C. and I came home from Church and ran around finishing last minute jobs. I organised the flowers that we'd purchased from the local grocery shop into vases, while C. finished up some cooking jobs. I vacuumed the house and carefully ironed my lengha.
That was it. The house was ready, my clothes were ready. I was ready. All that was left between me and my long awaited engagement to H. was just one. more. sleep.
To be continued...
No comments:
Post a Comment