Studies...
I had it all planned out. Next semester I was going to concentrate only on my final 5 units of university. No work, no extra-curricular activities, no commitments that require a lot of time. I would go to college and enjoy my last 5 months of hard study before I graduate.
What was I thinking?! :P life has a funny way of playing jokes on you...
Next semester I will be finishing off my final 5 units of university, and staying at college. I will also possibly be a member of a leadership academy at my university (I was one of 100 nominated students out of a uni of 40,000, this will be shortlisted to 30) - which will require me to do an extra 4 units of study, with evening classes, as well as helping to organise a campus-wide event. I though, ok, that's only one extra thing, I'll apply...
The next week I'm asked by one of my lecturers if I would mind tutoring students in 1st year undergrad web design, again I thought about it and said, yes, ok just this once. The pay is really, really good and I enjoy tutoring. That's ok, I thought, this is only 2 extra things apart from study next semester.
Then, I got some information via email, telling me that because I am employed by my university, I have to attend a into session on ethical tutoring etc. Fine, ok 1 day? sounds good. Then I read on.. and I get to complete 3 more modules! (yahoo! :P) this time on Tertiary Education. These modules occur on weekends during the semester, and will count towards a Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education. Cool, I thought, that will look nice on my resume. So, that's 4 extra things apart from study next semester.
Today, I opened my uni email account to find an email from the head of my degree's department. He mailed me to ask if I would do them the honour of being the student rep. and sit in on some meetings with the senior staff, and be at the launch of the re-vamped degree (the degree I'm doing is currently getting re-structured). Yay, I thought, this is amazing! the head of department is asking me, little old ME (who he has never met) to be the student rep. Then, I counted how many things I have committed to next semester... 5! :O I think I might just be the student with a degree average of 87 who fails their last semester ;) haha.
Actually, it's amazing I keep getting all these wonderful opportunities landing straight in my lap. It seems like at least once per month I am getting this awards/opportunities/jobs that I could have only dreamed about (or not dreamed about! I never even thought I would go to uni!!).
So, that's part of the reason I've been extremely quiet on this blog since the start of 2009.
Keep reading :)
- Mary
1 comment:
Mary,
For you my cricket and bollywood crazy friend.
Do take it up if you like. The link and award to you here http://grangergab.blogspot.com/2009/08/first-one.html
Post a Comment