Sunday, March 18, 2007

Cricket, College

Ireland beat Pakistan


I woke this morning to the amazing news that Ireland has beaten Pakistan in the World Cup qualifying rounds! :O

Some amazing figures from the match - 8-4-5-2-0.62 and no, that isn't the top scores of the Pakistani players! :P it was Andre Botha's bowling figures!

Pakistan were caught by a very confident and disciplined Irish team - and since I am part Irish - I think I have an underdog team to cheer for in this World Cup! on the flip side I don't get to see some of my favourite players such as Mohammed Hafeez, Shoaib Malik and Shahid Afridi play Super 8s :(



Interview at St. T. M. College

Last Tuesday I had an interview at the college I hope to attend while studying in Perth - It is situated just a short walk from the beautiful University of Western Australia.

While answering questions in the interview, I also took the time to check out how many Desi names I could spot on the whiteboard which listed student names and room number!

" " indicates actual dialogue
* * indicated thoughts (or possible thoughts)

Interviewer: "Do you get along with your family?"

Me: *looks at Mum and kinda makes a face* "Yeah of course!" (what a silly question!)

Interviewer: "As this is a Catholic college, we have certain rules such as one person per bed"

Me: *looks around thinking 'hmmmm.. wouldn't all colleges and decent people have that rule?* "Yes, of course you should have that rule!"

Interviewer: "Why do you want to stay at this college?"

Me: "My parents both went here, met here and married here"

Interviewer: 'OHHH! you should have mentioned that before! children of former students get priority here"

Interviewer and Mum start discussing how many people meet their future husband/wife at college - and start hinting to me that I would be the same

Me: * what is it with people thinking about who I'll marry!! *

Interviewer: "And everyone looks after each other here, why it's so good, the students all make sure no one is left at the Pub alone, they all keep each other company for safety"

Me: "I don't go to Pubs"

Interviewer: "Ahh, wait until you've been here a while.. "

Me: "I don't drink, and I'm not that type of person - I hate Pubs"

Interviewer: "Ohh! good!"

Me: *smiles*

Interviewer: "We have a quiet wing up the front, I put all the medical students there, as the other wings can get a little noisy"

Me: "Oh I'm serious and love quiet"

Interviewer: "I'll try and fit you in with the medical students then" *smiles*

Me: *oh yes :) *

Interviewer: "Ok, now I'll show you around"

Me: *Yupiee*

And the Interviewer leads me through the passage, up some steps (past guys in thongs and beach shorts running quickly past) *what is it with Aussie guys looking like they've just been at the beach instead of in class?* and first we check out the MOST important room at college - the laundry! :P

From the tour of the laundry we see the 'soccer pitch' which Mum informs the Interviewer was used as a place to play 'bike hockey' on when she was a student some 23 years back..

Next we check out the library, (nice, if disorganised) the computer room (complete with photos of the 'tech-help' students (both guys, both won't be needed), the foxtel room (complete with student watching tv instead of studying!) and the BEST room - the huge and impressive dining hall!


The dining hall had huge wooden boards on every wall listing every student achiever - I spotted some of my Mum's friends names on the 'Sportswoman of the year' boards and 'Student of the year' boards :) The BEST feature of the dining hall though, without doubt, was the amount of food they had! They had eight, yes EIGHT different types of breakfast cereals there! :O I have a feeling when I go to college I'll have to exercise a lot, just to make sure I can eat a lot too ;)


The tour ended, and the Interviewer said she would be very happy to have me stay at St. T. M. College starting at the end of July, however the final decision can't be made until June, as Notre Dame University in the USA was sending exchange students, supposed to be limited to 20, but they have already said 24 want to come! so as for now I'm hoping and praying they only send 24!!! please guys! :)


I also toured the beautiful grounds of UWA with Mum -





Photo found on flickr.com (Creative Commons Licence)


Photo found on flickr.com (Creative Commons Licence)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indians yesterday were sad that we lost, but overcame by the fact that Pakistan lost :-) My pakistani friends were shocked. Now we are hoping that India will beat Bermuda (otherwise it will be another Pak-Ireland match!) with a high run rate and beat SriLanka also, of which the probability is not too high...anyway its cricket

The college seems to have a serene aura to it, I have lived in a college for 4 yrs, it would be an experience covering the entire behavioral spectrum :-)

Mary said...

@ Arjun

I just hope India can make the Super 8s!! as much as I like Bangladesh,I don't wantthem to play Super 8s instead of India :P

Pakistan, on the other hand have had a shocking time. And I am really saddened by the death of their lovely coach Bob Woolmer too.

The College is great, I really can't wait to go there. :)

Anonymous said...

hey wow...
just read your post on your collge...
seems lke you are gonna have a lot of fun in the comming time.
you must be really excited.
All the best....

Mary said...

@ Harman

Yes going to college is going to be an amazing experience, my first time away from my family, away from my home town, and studying full time! :) I'm sure it will be great.