
(uni cricket ground - personal photo)
Back in 2005, when I was just new to the world of blogs, I came across a blog written by a girl, who was also a HUGE cricket fan.
I could hardly believe it! I read through her blog and it was like reading about myself 5 years into the future! I was so happy I sent an email to the Blog's author, asking her if we could be friends. That girl's name was Minal, and she is still blogging today at Granger Gab.
Anyway, what does this have to do with this post? well quite a lot actually. Minal reminded me of my love for blogging about cricket, something I haven't done for ages. :) So thank you Minal!
Last month, I was sitting at my computer working as per usual and I got a text message from H. It was at about 8am, which was surprising, because usually H. would still be asleep at that hour. The text message read...
Hi Mary... would you be able to come to the uni at midday? Simon Katich is meeing our team, and you could take a few photos.
I thought for a tiny second and said YES !! There was going to be an official photographer there, but H. wanted me to take some informal shots as well.
I packed my camera (in 3 plastic bags, 1 camera bag and 1 backpack as rain was forecast) and headed down to the uni.
Right on midday Simon Katich (Aussie Test Batsmen) strolled onto the oval and met the uni's Indian cricket team (which was started up by H. - yes, trust me to fall in love with a cricket fanatic!!).
The team were so surprised as he came alone - no media manager, no security guards just himself and a big smile.

(H. and Simon - official photo).
The team played around for about 1 hour in the nets while Simon chatted with them and gave them tips on spin bowling and batting. The team were SO HAPPY they had the biggest grins on their faces the entire session.
Not even a slight bit of rain stopped the session. A the conclusion of the nets section Simon gathered the team into a circle and wished them all the best with their studies (most of the team are studying for Masters degrees), cricket and life.
Then, just before he left, he said "Oh, I have something to give you!" and he handed out training t-shirts or pants to the entire team (his very own official Aussie training gear that had been worn once or twice in test match warm ups).
As you can imagine the team were thrilled with this! H. came over to me and let me know that they had a short 2 hour break for lunch, and then would meet Simon Katich again for chatting and afternoon tea in the university function room.
H. had the idea of printing out a picture of Simon and the team to give as a thank you, so off we went to the nearby shopping centre to print the picture.

(H. and Simon - official photo).
Once we got to the camera shop and put the picture in, we stopped to ask the shop owner if the picture could be ready quicker than the standard 1.5 hours. He said no worries, I can get in done in 15 minutes, and asked what the image was...
H. showed him the picture of Simon and the team and the shop owner said "Wow! Simon! you'll never guess this but... I actually live next door to Simon's parents! We remember Simon growing up as a little kid and playing cricket next door. Lovely guy!".
H. was shocked!! I laughed! Perth is so small this type of thing occurs all the time. Everyone knows everyone through some connection! :D
H. got two images printed, one to give to Simon, and one for the team to sign with well wishes. H. told me later that Simon was very touched to have a thank you from the team and told them to all come along and cheer for him when Australia play India at the WACA ground at the end of this year.

(The team with Simon - personal photo).
No comments:
Post a Comment