Saturday, May 03, 2008

Study updates

The Orkut Case Study is nearly done! it is all written, I just need to apply some finishing touches. I will release the URL very soon..

Meanwhile, I am pondering the following questions for some end of semester assignments -

" Does the online 'world' of the Internet constitute a new social space? "

I can think of the following points which make the social space found online unique:

* No set identity
* Ability to set gender, age, looks based on whatever you feel like
* No geographical boundaries to communication
* Sometimes there is an ignorance of race, even denying that it is important online
* Virtual world designers can specify the limitations of how people can define themselves online
* Not able to see others online to verify their identity (a 40yr old man can pose as a 14yr old girl)
* Most users in the social space will never meet

Can anyone else think of continuities or changes which occur in the online social space?

No comments: