Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Orkut Survey

<---Update # 2 --->
The survey is now closed! a big thank you to the 42 people who took the time to fill it out for me! in the next 2 weeks I'll post the link to my case study on Orkut, which I'll be using some of this research for. :)

-Mary

<---Update # 1 --->

Thanks to the 44 people who have already filled out this survey! I've started to tally up results and it will be interesting to see how these results compare to research I've read about 'virtual communities'. The survey will be open for the next 1 -2 weeks, so if you haven't filled it in, and would like to - please go ahead! :)

Part of my assignment is to present my case study online - so when I have it up I'll put a link here so anyone interested can check it out!

-Mary

Hi everyone,

I'm studying 'virtual communities' this semester @ Uni and would appreciate it if you have the time to fill out this short survey for me! All responses are totally anonymous (unless you choose to put in your name) and no field is compulsory!

-Mary















































































Name:




Email Address:




Why did you join Orkut?

A friend invited me

My friends were using it

To find my old friends online

To make new friends

To join communities

For professional reasons

For dating

Other



Do you use your real name on Orkut?

Yes

Yes, only my first name

No, I use a nickname

No, I use a made up name



Is your profile picture:

A photo of you

A photo of a celebrity

A cartoon or drawing

A photo of an object (non-human)

I haven't uploaded a profile picture

Not listed



What sections of your Orkut profile are set to 'private'? (only your friends can view them)

My photos

My scrapbook

My testimonials

My videos

None



Who do you add to your friends list on Orkut?

my family or relatives

friends I am in regular contact with

friends I don't keep regular contact with

anyone who scraps me

work colleagues

strangers

people I met through an orkut community

school or university friends

not listed



Do you read an orkut users profile and testimonials before accepting their friend request?

Yes, I read their profile and testimonials

Yes, I read their profile

Yes, I read their testimonials

No, I don't read anything before accepting a friend request



Does Orkut allow you to keep in frequent contact with your friends?

Yes

No

I haven't noticed any change since joining Orkut



Do you have any face-to-face contact with any of your Orkut 'friends' in real life?

Yes, frequently

Yes, but infrequently

No, I've never met any of my Orkut friends



If you answered yes to the previous question, how many friends does this apply to?

1-5 friends

6-15 friends

15+ friends



How many communities have you joined on Orkut?




How often do you participate in these communities? (vote in a poll, write in the forums etc?)

Daily

Weekly

Monthly

4-5 times per year

Never



Are any of the Orkut communities you have joined linked to a 'real world' activity or group? (example: a tennis club you are in has a community you have joined)

Yes

No

Not Sure





What do you primarily use Orkut for?

Scrapping friends

Surfing around looking at profiles

Joining communities

I joined orkut but rarely / never use any of the features



Do you reply to all scraps you receive on Orkut?

Yes

No

Yes, only if they are from friends



Would you describe Orkut as a 'community' ?

Yes

No

Unsure








create web form

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just loved the last question. It would please me no end if you could mail me the response result of the people who answer that question. Could you please? Ofcourse, after the end of period this survey is intended for.

Mary said...

@ Vinku

I'll publish all the survey results here on my blog! ( but of course names will remain anonymous)it will be posted sometime in the next 3-4 weeks.

Rebel Heart Asa said...

Hey Mary,
I've posted a link to this Orkut survey in my blog.

Mary said...

@ Asa

Wow! thank you :)

Anonymous said...

Any updates on this? Are pople still filling up this survey dear?
H

Mary said...

@ H. Yeah they are! :) so far there are 41 responses!!

The break down of responses so far (for anyone interested) is...

---------------------

Australia 5
India 21
Netherlands 1
Pakistan 2
Russian Federation 1
Singapore 1
United States 10

Asawaree said...

Hey Mary,
I'm looking forward to the results.