Thursday, December 28, 2006

WACA test

My write up from Day 4 of the test..

3rd Ashes Test Match, WACA, Perth

Day 4

I woke 1 minute before my alarm today, really excited as Australia might win the test today-and with that the Ashes!

Ce. & I join the queue at 6.05am, we are at least 200m further up the line from yesterday! most people in the queue are reading the Sunday paper, who's headline screams "IT'S AS GOOD AS OURS!" with a picture of the Ashes urn covering the entire front page.

At around 7.50am we get some seats in the stadium near the sightscreen - completely in the shade today. Mum texts me to ask how the ballet was and tells me that I missed Gillie's hundred! Ce. & I hadn't even heard that Gillie scored a hundred yesterday!! :O
I text back and find out the he hit his century off just 57 balls!! awesome!

At 10am our friend I. rings me to say he's at the gates outside the WACA, so I go out to meet him and give him my guest pass so he can get into the members area seating with us. He's really excited as the only International cricket he has ever seen was in Rawalpindi, Pakistan a few years back. We sit down and he promptly informs me he will support the Poms! I pretend to be annoyed and tell him he can't! and sure enough within 15 minutes he's got me to put some green & gold zinc on his face, and he also tries to tie my 'Go off in Green & Gold' bandanna around his head :)

Play starts at 11.30am and by lunch England haven't lost a wicket! Australia seems to be having an 'English' day in the field with no chances being taken at all! :(

Nothing of note happens in the 2nd session either! Brett Lee gets so close to taking a wicket, so the crowd get behind him-clapping him in as he bowls each delivery, but still no wickets fall.
6pm comes around and England are only 2 wickets down, the 21 year-old Cook has made his first Ashes century and Australia need another wicket.. 3 overs left in the days play..

McGrath is bowling from the Lillee-Marsh end of the ground and suddenly Cook is caught behind!! to say that the crowd went ballistic would be an understatement!! Everyone was on their feet, cheering, clapping, screaming and then laughing as the English captain Flintoff, due in next, sends Hoggard out in his place. As the chants of 'Ooooo Aaaaah Glenn McGrath' resonate around the WACA, Hoggard just survives the first ball. He looks terrible though and I could feel the pressure just watching him.



McGrath bowls the second ball to Hoggard and he is caught behind!! Wow! :D it was something just to be there when that wicket fell, with 23,000 people wanting to see the Ashes back in Australian hands. I can only imagine how much it will mean to the Aussie team when(!) (or if) they are handed the trophy.

No comments: